SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

My Vanilla Strawberry finally turned pink!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

I don't know how many current posters remember my posts from the past couple years moaning and groaning that my Vanilla Strawberry (Paniculata) Hydrangea wasn't turning pink as was advertised in all the catalogs. In fact, I even surmised that perhaps the online place sent me the wrong paniculata. Not that its big WHITE blooms weren't gorgeous--but that was not what I ordered!

Well, I'm happy to report that it finally turned pink--three years later. Take a look at these pics (a bit dark? sorry):
{{gwi:291306}}

And here's a bit closer view:

I don't know if it just took three years to mature or what? Earlier, a garden professional from northern Kansas speculated it was just too hot in Kansas (over 100 degrees most of last summer!) for the Vanilla Strawberries to do their thing right. It is true that our current summer is cooler than any summer I can remember in the last 25 years--so maybe the heat-cool theory is correct. At any rate, I'm just glad it is finally performing as it is supposed to. Isn't it a lovely paniculata?

I also have the paniculata called Pinky Winky--which also just bloomed white in the past. I see it is beginning to form the faintest pink on the bottom half of the blooms, but it is growing in part sun/part shade (whereas VS grows in all -day sun), so PW is a bit behind schedule. If it truly develops some pink blooms in the next week or so, I'll post a pic of Pinky Winky here also.

I' m so delighted that I may just do a happy, happy hydrangea dance! LOL

Kate

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES