SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ictus

Considering outdoor Hydro or Aero experiment next year :)

Ictus
12 years ago

Hello!

I am new to hydro, but have experience with Saltwater Coral growth and propogation, so most of the concepts are familiar to me. I am currently doing some DWC habaneros under LED lights. There's a thread in the peppers forum if you are curious.

Next year I want to try a small-medium sized outdoor hydroponics experiment. Most likely would start with a few tomatoe varieties and lettuce, but might try something else if all goes well.

I either want to try outdoor Recirculating DWC, or Aeroponics. I know Aero requires a bit more attention and is a bit more expensive, but I just found out that the ReverseOsmosis pressure booster pump that I have (aquatec) is considered the ideal Aeroponics pump :D I am moving to a new house next month and will be dismantling and selling my SW tank so I don't need the RO or booster pump anymore for that.

Aeroponics is more attractive to me because there is less waste water, meaning you need to mix less nutrients especially with Drain-to-Waste that's very dialed in. I am only talking about "true" aero where there is NO water under the roots, just mist. Usually DIY aero is a sort of RDWC hybrid.

RDWC is attractive since it's a tad simpler in some aspects, others not so much. Would have to plumb several 5g buckets together to a common res. Instead of airstones, I would use my Sequence Dart pump as a DIY venturi, which has the power to turn a whole resevoir into a giant mass of superfine bubbles. Reeflo actually sells a version called the Orca that's already set up as a NW venturi, but tons of SW folks have modded Darts/Snappers into NW venturi and the results are simply amazing. I have no doubt there would still be microbubbles in all the individual tanks if there was enough flow rate between them and the res.

Now for some questions for anybody who happens to know:

Aeroponics:

In true aero, I hear roots grow MASSIVE. I see some setups using small 6" square plastic tubing to hold the plants. About like large NFT channel. I have to wonder, is that enough space? I doubt it. I've always though NFT type channels looked inadequate. But I'm not really interested at NFT at the moment.

Would a 5g bucket be enough for full size aeropnic roots?.

Both:

Do you think I would get any huge pest problems with outdoor hydro or aero? I know in RDWC I could add BTI bacteria which keeps skeeters from breeding, but I don't know how I would prevent pests from liking the moist roots of aero.

One idea I came across on some blog, was the guy built a waist-high handrail out of 2x6s and put his 5g buckets up on them. Makes it easier to inspect/harvest too, but I wonder does it really help reduce pests?

So a big thanks to anybody who read through my ramblings and has any advice at all to offer me :) I am most likely going to try aero since I have the pump already, but I like to get lots of info first.

Thanks!!!

Ictus

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor