SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madcat2k3

Problem mixing nutrients and also chili plant growth problems

madcat2k3
14 years ago

Hi guys, I'm absolutely stumped. My Jalapeno Chili plant/s have started to produce a hell of a lot of buds, and started flowering. Since then, all the new growth has been a pale yellow, distorted, twisted and just looks sickly, yet it's still growing like a champ. I'm posting this because I have 2 problems which I believe are related.

First off, the sort of system I am running is a Flood and Drain, using around 300w of CFLs (1ft per 110watts, right? so any more light for a group of plants around 2ft width would be wasted, correct?). Anyway, I'm using 2x red spectrum and 1 blue spectrum 125w/105x2w at 64k and 27k. The reservoir tank is only 5 gallons because I'm not growing much to begin with.

Anyway, first problem. I'm using GH Flora series, but not using the Gro as I have ran out of it. I figure, it's just mostly (K) with some (P) in it anyway, and Bloom contains that in good supply. Right, my water is soft, around 50ppm straight from the tap, however the pH is around 8.6 or so.

When mixing in the nutrients, I get MASS pH drop and I cannot put in the nutrients I need to.

So, for 5 gallons, I put in 25 mL Micro (for soft water), and the PPM raises to 280. pH drops to 7.7. Then, this is the bit that confuses me. Of course I have the nitrogen there at what, around 70 PPM? Then there's all the other things well, 150 PPM worth of alternative things that are going in there. So, I figure, this the (N) level is fine at 70ish. All good, then comes the Bloom. I obviously need more (P) and (K), so I measure it out at around 80 (P) and 115 (K). So I'm using 70-80-115-52 NPKMg. Sounds good to me, right, but I cannot GET anywhere near this, because when adding the Bloom, at around 65-66 mL, the pH will drop to 3.3, from 7.7. I can only get in 35 mL which settles at around 5.1 which is still damn too low. What am I doing wrong? I have followed the labels, charts, formulas based on mL/Gal and yet, I can only get half way on the P-K-Mg. It ends up there is more (N) than (P)-(K). What's up with this mega pH drop using GH Flora Bloom?

Ok my second problem is with, obviously, the plant. Due to having to cut things right in half with the bloom, the plant seems to be getting all sorts of deficiencies. New growth is yellow, pale and just...well....it looks in bad condition overall. The pH has been stable, sure, but even at 5.7 there's yellow new growth, curling upwards at the sides of the leaves and twisting. Thought it was a pH issues with the twisting all over the place but apparently not.

The lower growth is completely green on the plants, it's just the new growth and mid way that's taking damage. I don't want to pH up because when I do, it just goes to chaos (the pH) and will go all over the place. Whenever I use pH down or up the pH will drift daily to the level it was buffered at with the nutes, or so. Which means in my case when I pH upthe solution that was at 3.3, it takes...24 hours to go from 5.7-5.8 to 3.3 and yeah, I must admit, the plants do take damage real fast at this stage, so I balance it out at 5.8 without pH upping, but I am losing nutrients from the Bloom (P-K and Mg).

What am I supposed to do, or what is it I'm doing wrong? please help and sorry for long message.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County