SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Alkaline or carbonate-rich soils and their nutrient problems

gonebananas_gw
12 years ago

I have just the opposite but I see much attention and interest in them here, especially in terms of their effects on major and minor nutrient availability.

I have an idea to throw out from a technical field fairly far from horticulture but sharing an interest in underground bacteria and their effects.

The bacterial degradation of certain organic compounds underground (the best studied are contaminants such as chlorinated solvents) can show whether the environment of the bacterial metabolism is aerobic (with free oxygen significantly available) or anaerobic (without). In systems that are overall aerobic and very facilitative of that condition (say deep sands) one often still sees traces of the anaerobic degradation pathway. So without knowing exactly what and where they are, one concludes that there exist microsites where oxygen can be depleted faster than it can diffuse inward.

So what is the possible implication to alkaline soils where we are concerned with pH (rather than Eh, being basically degree of oxygen availability)? Perhaps something as simple as wanting a coarser grain size of amendments or porous amendments. If I were to design a simple experiment I might apply ferrous sulfate to one plot (or pot) of alkaline soil showing iron deficiency in susceptible plants, apply (by mixing in) ground oak bark (slightly acidic and porous already, and will release acidity with decomposition) to a second plot, and for the third soak the same measure of oak bark in a solution of the same measure of ferrous sulfate and mix it into soil similarly. Then I'd plant and watch.

Or I'd just till into my alkaline garden a layer of ground oak or pine bark sprinkled with the ferrous sulfate solution to provide--one hopes--a favorable microsite of availability. Then I'd see if I got favorable results.

Comments (10)