SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txeb

Why My Soil is Alkaline

10 years ago

I've commented many times about the oh so wonderful "gumbo clay" I start with in SE TX, I thought I'd share the image below with you. Today I finally got around to sampling the soil under my St. Augustine/Bermuda lawn (~9000 sq ft) for analysis - it's been a while since I last did this and I missed my pre-season opportunity because of other projects. The pic below shows a close-up the composite of 20 sample points (3/4" probe, nominal depth 6") that were spread out to dry. If you look dead center you will see a little white rock - it's about 1/4" long (the grass root hairs can be used as a scale reference), and another small one just below and right (4 o'clock). You can also see a tiny one about 3 o'clock, halfway between the largest one and the grass blade bit at the right edge. If you look closely in the many lumps you'll see little white specs, which are more of the same. Those my friends are the natural calcium carbonate (i.e., lime) in our native soils. Put one of those rocks or specks in a spoon, put a little white vinegar over them, and they effervesce quite nicely. This is why our soil is naturally alkaline, and in our soils you can actually see it.

This post was edited by TXEB on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 21:38

Comments (28)