SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

For alkaline soil: yes to fluid phosphorus, no to epsom salt

12 years ago

I found the answer to why Austins rebloom lousy in alkaline soil, no matter how much phosphorus is given. Here's the paper from Australia entitled "Phosphorus Management and Availability in Highly Calcareous Soil" Abstract:

"More than 1 million hectares of South Australia's cereal production area consists of highly calcareous alkaline soils. Despite decades of applied fertiliser phosphorus (P), productivity in some of these areas has not increased. Six years of trial work on Eyre Peninsula ... fluid Phosphorus fertilisers are likely to give significant yield increases compared with granular formulations on highly calcareous soils in low rainfall areas. The best results have been achieved when solutions containing P, N and micronutrients were applied together at sowing."

That's the logic behind alfalfa tea and Pappu's loaded roses from Illinois in past forum. NPK of alfalfa tea is 2-1-2, its phosphorus is higher than NPK of coffee ground at 2.08 0.32 and 0.28.

When I tested the pH of 2 teaspoons of epsom salt in 1 cup of water - it was alkaline. In August when I had William Shakespeare in MiracleGro potting soil, I watered him with epsom salt to make the flower change to deep red. He lost his fragrance and his leaves turned more yellow. I repeated the epsom salt experiment with Radio Times cut flowers. Again, Radio Times turned deeper pink, lost its fabulous scent (went stinky), and leaves turned more yellow. From www.chemistryland.com, here's the answer to epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and its alkaline property: "Explain why you take M.O.M. (milk of magnesia) when you have a stomachache: Many stomachaches are acid indigestion caused by excess acid. Milk of Magnesia is a solution of magnesium hydroxide and it neutralizes excess acid in the stomach."

The most loaded pictures of Austins I have seen are those growing in pots, with liquid fertilizer high in phosphorus. Roses fertilized with alfalfa tea are also loaded.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phosphorus and alkaline calcareous soil

Comments (14)