SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Any experience with epsom salt?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I planted 10 Austins late this summer. While researching on winter-protecting them in zone 5a, I found these info:

1) fertilize with phosphorus and potassium to increase hardiness. (I don't need these - my clay soil has plenty)

2) helps hardiness by spreading 1/4 cup of epsom salt after the first frost. (info. from NY Rose Society, Spring Valley Roses) The logic? To strengthen plant cell walls and produce more canes.

Mills Magic has epsom salt - any info. on how well Mills Magic work in the spring? A few experiments I read on Epsom salt: 1) did increase the size of tomato 2) did green up the grass.

The part about epsom salt helps with the bloom's color was interesting. I did put some in William Shakespeare pot, he went from dark-purple bloom to prettier reddish bloom.

The reason why I'm interested in epsom salt is that my soil is high in limestones. We have hard water high in calcium. An excess of calcium results in a deficiency of magnesium. If you have additional info. or did some experiment with epsom salt, I appreciate greatly. That stuff is cheap, so any info. is welcomed.

Comments (14)