SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Results of epsom experiment and caution on corn meal

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

Here I post the result of Radio Times soaked 1 day in Epsom salt. Then I replaced the water with calcium citrate, and finally plain water. The color did deepen compared to the control in tap water.

{{gwi:318364}}

This confirms the experiment I did on William Shakespeare end of August. He was grunting with constipation and produced these tiny pellets of ugly purple. So I watered him with Epsom salts, and he diarrhea-ted into glorious crimson red (just like the pic. in Roses Unlimited). But his lilac-Old Rose scent disappeared.

Not only Radio Times stank up with Epsom salt in the vase, it got really soft and droopy (magnesium relaxes muscle, whereas calcium constricts). I changed its water to calcium citrate, and the petals are still stiff and firm after 4 days in a vase. The control one in plain water already dropped petals (vases are switched, epsom salt is on the right).

{{gwi:318365}}

Since my soil is alkaline I threw rotten tomatoes and stomp on them to acidify the soil. I dumped left-over Epsom salt water from my experiments on this spot. Today I found tons of tomato plants shot up at the same place. This is from the Orchid forum: "One study posted found adding Epsom salts does not make any difference in the size of flowers produced, but the use of Epsom salts brought seedlings to maturity and flowering faster than those which were not provided with magnesium sulfate".

Magnesium made my Radio Times limpy and droopy in a vase. My guess is that it softens the hard cover of the seed, making it easier for plants to sprout. Below is tomato plants growing where I dumped epsom salt. You can see the whitish left-over stuff, and a piece of limestone rock nearby.

{{gwi:318366}}

My neighbor was impressed by zero blackspots on my 10 Austins in partial shade. She was asking me questions about my corn meal experiment so I answer them here in case you wonder the same.

1) Why do we bother with corn meal dusting for black spots? Because spraying is more complicated, such as in the thread, "What to wear when you spray?": A tyvek disposable suit, cartridge respirator with face mask, hood, gloves. A four foot long wand ...I wear a long sleeve shirt, a hat, gloves, long pants, and either a bandana over my nose or a respirator. If I spray a miticide I also wear goggles and stick my head through a hole in a trash bag and wear that over my shirt."

The only caution I have for whole-grain corn meal is the birds love that stuff. You have to hold your breath while dusting, otherwise your nostril hairs turn all yellow. It's best to wear something subdued, like your black Ninja costume with a face mask. Try not to wear something gaudy like a bright red shirt, lest the humming birds get excited and mistake your yellowed nostrils for its nectar.

It takes at least 10 days before beneficial Trichoderma fungi to form colonies. Trichoderma attacks and destroys other non-beneficial fungi, such as blackspots. I was throwing corn meal over my shoulder at rose bushes, but I got more sophisticated and used a flour sifter from the kitchen.

You won't have the risk of Eyes Degeneration like chemical spray. However, when you dust with corn meal, keep your eyes on your toes at all times. Better yet, blindfold yourself. Never look up, since the birds dive down for corn meal, and they may gorge your eyes out, and you'll die a gruesome death. (I'm just kidding, to keep the folks employed at Bayer).

My neighbor asked me how I made corn meal stuck to the leaves. The answer: dust right after it rained. If you want to be anal-retentive, you can set your hair-blower to low setting and blow dry each leaf. My only complaint about corn meal is that while I dusted my roses, these morning doves couldn't wait. They sat next to me and drove me nuts with their clucking and heavy-breathing ... Happy Halloween - Hopefully I scared you enough.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!