SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babalubird

Need help from hot climate hydro-gardeners

babalubird
15 years ago

Help! I copied the system here where vermi-somebody--forget user name--strung corrugated pipe along a tripod and produced such beautiful plants. I love the system but...

I was doing fantastic with it until the 100 degree weather hit here day after day. Some of the tomato and pepper and eggplants wilted. The eggplant came back pretty well but one tomato plant is pretty much gone and one pepper is still having trouble.

In desperation I have a 5foot piece of shade cloth over the roof only now to protect from noonday sun. I hated to do that because I don't know if these particular plants can fruit with a cover like this.

I read about a professional hydro-gardener here in Texas theorizing that he may cool the solution rather than the greenhouse to stop heat problems. I just dunked a frozen liter bottle in my 5 gallon solution and I cannot see any significant difference in the solution temperature. It feels like very very warm bath water. I believe this hot solution over the roots may be my main problem.

Has anyone in a hot climate come up with an economic solution to cooling the roots or solution without buying a double-sided greenhouse or getting into huge expenses? I'm just a beginner and still experimenting so I'm not prepared to buy some expensive system yet.

Thanks.

Connie

Comments (9)