SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jvk_in_pa

ClimateMaster or HydroHeat (Hydro Delta)

jvk_in_pa
16 years ago

Hello,

I am seeking input on HydroHeat (Hydro Delta) and Climatemaster geothermal heat pumps.

I have received project quotes and I am currently considering two contractors who are proposing to install a Hyro Delta product (Mega Tek TS Quadro-Therm ) and a Climatemaster (Tranquility 27 TSV64), respectively. Both pumps are dual stage with ECM blowers. I believe both contractors are very qualified - the Hydro Delta contractor, has very good reputation and the Climatemaster contractor specializes in geothermal Systems. Both contractors have been thorough, have completed the manual J calculations and are recommending a 5 Ton heat pump. As additional information, I believe Mega Tek comes with a TS reciprocating compressor and the Tranquility comes with a scroll compressor.

It has been hard to get much information on the Hydro Delta's closed loop systems even on Hydro Delta's web site. The little information that I have found on HVAC forums shows that users have been unhappy with Hydro Delta products - maybe that is just a coincidence but I would like to find out more.

Technical information on Climatemaster products is very easy to get and it seems the installers and the owners of Climatemaster products appear to be very happy with the Climatemaster systems.

I would appreciate any input from the board. As you know, going with a geothermal system is a huge investment and I would like to make a good decision so as to have trouble free service for many years to come. No point going to geothermal system if its life span and performance will be no better than a conventional air to air heat pump.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

VK

Comments (6)

• marknmt
    16 years ago

Hello VK.

I own a Climatemaster Tranquility 27 3 ton unit that was retrofitted to our 100 year old stucco house last November. A search on this board might bring up the discussions I've had since then.

But to recap briefly we were unable to install a closed loop system and opted to use a well to provide water for an open loop system. This works very well, but is hardly as economical as we had hoped (expected). We are spending at least as much to run the well as to run the heatpump.

But even so we have seen about a 25% reduction in our heating costs and we now have air conditioning, although we rarely use it. We also have yet to hook up the desuperheater, so we're not yet getting the benefit of preheated water for our hot water tank. (I need to do that before the heating season, but I'm mulling over a vacuum solar array for hot water ... we'll see.)

So far we've been quite happy with our heatpump, but there is no doubt that it's not operating under the best possible conditions. You don't say whether you're talking about a new construction or a retrofit, but in our case our antiquated ducting is a modest issue that you wouldn't have with a new, or possibly even a newer, house.

I have to say the Climatemaster has been flawless since we've installed it. It puts out a gentle flow of very comfortable warm air, quite different from the harsh blast of the old gas forced air unit. It's reasonably quiet (but one poster here had noise problems with his at first).

Good luck,

M

• fsq4cw
    16 years ago

Re: jvk in pa

Why would you even THINK of going with a product that has users that are unhappy? This is not a window air-conditioner weÂre talking about. Personally, I would NEVER go with a product that I couldnÂt find full disclosure of specs. Climatemaster will be around for a long time, will HydroHeat?

YouÂve also stated that the Climatemaster contractor Âspecializes in geothermal; does that imply the Mega Death installer does not? Verify that whoever does your installation is IGSHPA accredited. You havenÂt mentioned anything about whatÂs being proposed as to the ground loops.

Make your decisions carefully; avoid problems at all cost  literally. From what IÂve read, IÂd go with the Climatemaster (closed loop) hands down.

IMO

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: International Ground Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA)

• jvk_in_pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for your input.

I have followed your posts on the two Gardenweb sites and on another HVAC site regarding your Tranquility 27 pump and the issues you have had with regard to an open loop system. You were among the group of many who have provided positive feed back about Climatemaster products.

Installation would be a retrofit for me.

SR,

Thanks for your input also. I have followed your posts regarding DX systems for over a year now and had initially considered a DX system. But unfortunately there are no installers in this area.

The irony is that the well driller for the Hydro Delta contractor is indeed IGSHPA certified. The HVAC contractor (for Hydro Delta product) I am dealing with has over 20 years experience with DX and conventional geothermal systems. So I have no reason to doubt the technical capabilities of the installers. All I am concerned about is the product they install. A handful of owners have posted (here and on another web site) the problems they have had with the product. I am just trying to find out if there are others who may have had positive experiences with the Hydro Heat pumps. Just trying to make sure that I am not excluding a perfectly good product just based on a handful of unhappy customers.

Climatemaster clearly seems to have a lot of happy customers.

Regards,

VK

• marknmt
    16 years ago

Hello again Jvk.

Since you are doing a retrofit I'll tell you that the problems we had using our old ductwork were not too serious, it's just that we're not "optimum".

Evidently it was practice to install ducting differently many years ago; our outputs are all located towards the center of the house, away from the exterior walls, and our cold air returns are along the perimeter. Today, of course, the cold air returns are towards the center and the outlets around the perimeter. The result is "cold spots" around the edges of rooms, but they aren't severe and we don't mind 'em.

Another potential problem (which we haven't experienced yet) is that, if pushed hard, the air conditioning could freeze up, since our vents are a little more restrictive than they should be. So far we've not found it necessary to use the AC more than a couple of hours at a time, and it's been fine.

I have to tell you that I have one reservation about the product, but it may be unfounded. The soldering on the inside of the unit where some of the copper runs looks terrible, and even the installer commented on it. It appears to have beeen gotten too hot, and there are drips and sags. Of course it passed all the tests, but I'm concerned that it might develop leaks under pressure down the road. I know that at the first sign of failing refrigerant pressures I'll be ready to send the manufacturer a letter! I have already noted it in a letter to the installer. The unit arrived crated and the installer had not inspected it before he brought to the house; the existing heating system was gone, it was November, and it was time to get the job done. If I had it to do over again I would insist on the installer doing a good visual inspection before accepting the product from the company.

That may be naive; I don't know. But it is true that Climatemaster has a new factory running and that they are pushing to keep up with demand. It makes everything harder from the purchasers point of view, in that the installer has lots of customers and doesn't have to be too accomodating! Too, the unit we ordered in June wasn't shipped right away -we had to wait for it to be built. The factory test is dated August 31, 2006. It took a while longer to make it to Montana from Oklahoma.

Just our experiences and observations for what it's worth.

Best,

Mark

• fsq4cw
    16 years ago

Re jvk in pa:

Does your IGSHPA accredited and experienced installer install brands other than Hydro Delta? Would he if you indicated a preference for another brand?

Re Mark:

I too appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Thanks,

Steve

• jvk_in_pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I will request that the installer visually inspect the equipment before it is installed in my house.

Steve,

Florida Heat Pump would be the other choice. It appears that FHP owners have also been pretty happy with their systems. At least the old posts on Gardenweb suggest that.

Regards

VK