SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Sassy's Fairy Garden and 'Nano' gardening

hostaLes
12 years ago

I don't want to steal a thread or be redundant so please read Sassy's postings.

I refer to Nano Gardening using the approach aquarium hobbyists take to creating underwater gardens in miniaturized aquariums. I have seen some gorgeous ones less that a 10" cube. The challange in Nano aquascaping is duplicating natural conditions in a highly miniaturized space. Where I have one 55g tank I could easily have 18 Nano tanks. It needs very carefully planned and maintained filtration, temperature control, lighting type and control, water flow, and plant selections to keep a Nano tank. Fish can be held also, if given equal care in choice of species.

This can be done in keeping hosta also. I see the japanese developing smaller and smaller hosta. Nano hosta gardening can be done indoors to. Following similar guidelines for Nano aquariums Nano hosta gardens can be grown in winter when our outdoor hosta are dormant. Much of the necessary hardware to artificially simulate seasons can be borrowed from the aquarium people. A Nano hosta garden could be created inside a 12" acrylic cube featuring one of the 'Mouse Ears' clan. The Nano cube could be made at home for less than the cost of the plant.

Has anyone heard of this being done? I know there are hormones available to us that force hosta out of dormancy that could be used to ease a small hosta into summer time dormancy for indoor use.

Les

Comments (3)