SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pease

Two 'out of curiosity' questions

Karen Pease
17 years ago

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I've never done and hydroponics before, and am merely considering it to try out in future years. So, if my questions reveal a level of ignorance on my part, that's probably because there is such a level of ignorance on my part. :)

1) I've read that the nutrient solution in all methods of hydroponics must be flushed and replaced every so often. Is this because the ratio of the different dissolved nutrients gets out of whack by selective absorption from the plants? Or is there another reason?

2) I know the standard for hydroponics is to water with a mix of all of the necessary nutrients, with air being supplied in one of many different methods depending on the type of hydroponics you do. However, would this work: given a requirement to have 1% of your solution be Nutrient A, 2% of the solution Nutrient B, and 3% of the solution Nutrient C, to water for a short period (say, one hour) with 3% A (nothing else), then with 6% B (nothing else), then with 9% C (nothing else), then go back to A?

The reason for these questions is that I had an idea for a system that wouldn't have to have the water changed... if (1) is true (or true with a few adaptations) and (2) would work. If (2) wouldn't work, the problem becomes a lot more complicated -- either chromatography to check mineral levels to know what to replace, or a resin-based selective ion exchange membrane. Neither are very appealing, cost and effort-wise.

Comments (2)