SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Mnemonic devices to remember names

User
12 years ago

I remember an old joke about a guy who had a bad memory, and his friend told him to always associate a mental image with the person's name so he could remember it. To try it out, he thought of how to remember ole Miz Green's name, and the image he chose was a pickle. Very pleased with himself, he walked down her street, and there she was, tending her HOSTA beds (on topic now). So he walks by, and says to her, "Good morning, Miz Pickle Puss."

Anyway, I chose a different kind of image to use, and here it is.

To be sure I used the term correctly, I looked it up in Tech Definitions. Here is what it said:

A mnemonic (pronounced "nemonic") is a pattern that can be used as an aid for memorizing information. Most often, this pattern consists of letters or words. For example, the phrase "Every Good Boy Does Fine" can be used to help music students remember the notes of the staff, E, G, B, D, and F. The name "Roy G. Biv" is often used to memorize the order of colors in a rainbow (or other light spectrum) -- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

While initials of words are commonly used as mnemonic devices, rhyming words and poems can also be used to memorize information. Furthermore, images can be associated with words or phrases to help memorize them. Because the human brain organizes information in "chunks," mnemonics help people categorize information better, which makes it easier to remember.

So what I'm doing to help ID my hosta, is to pick a symbol for the ones similar or maybe totally different from the other plants. Besides, it is a fun thing to do, and could wind up involving visitors to the garden with a challenge to better observe, and try to guess the plant name from the "mnemonic device" located in its pot.

The first one I tried was Teatime. The teapot was just a watering pot I had on hand, but it gave me the idea. I now have an appropriately sized teapot placed in the pot. Later I will affix it with some florist clay to the top of its stick, and leave it to weather and do its job.

Where you have children around your gardens, I think it could be a very enjoyable play feature tending to make gardening seem more fun. I believe that if a child learns to garden, as a grown up s/he will find pleasure in it as well.

This is only the beginning. Many more to go. Oh, not all 137 of them need or can benefit from a device. But I know exactly what to put in the pot with Rhino Hide, when I eventually get it: a small rhino. Just to see if it works, see if you might ID the plants done so far.

Let the games begin...Suggestions appreciated.

5. not exact but it begins with "Par..." as in parrot.

Comments (9)