SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackz411

My Nikko vs. ES Conundrum, Just can't be?

jackz411
16 years ago

OK. I have been thinking about this "problem" all this week. I guess it is possible but I don't quite beleive it. Not in zone 4 anyway. My temps get down below -30.

Last year in the 1st week of May I planted 3 Nikkos. Regular simple Nikkos. 2 were planted to the right of the garden 3 feet from each other and 1 was planted about 10 feet away on the left. A few weeks later I planted some ES also in the same garden. Everything went well and they all bloomed nicely.

This late fall I did some over wintering protection. An experiment. The right-side 2 Nikkos got the flattened box. The Nikko on the left got nothing. It was my control Nikko to use to compare to the other 2, knowing it would die back to the ground. I also flat-boxed the ES next to that 1 Nikko to see what would happen. My theory was more blooms since it blooms on old and new wood.

I uncovered all 3 late this May. All did quite well and I have a photo link on a recent overwintering thread somewhere. By now all are looking good.

A month has gone by and the protected ES is marvelous and must have 20 flower buds while all my unprotected ES have 5-6. The 2 protected Nikkos are doing just fine but only have 3-4 flower buds at this moment, with more coming every few days. All seems well, eh? Me too. This gets me to the 3rd Nikko, the one on the left of the garden which was unprotected and died back to the ground over the winter.

Its green leafy growth on new wood is really nice and robust. But, it is the flower buds which it has which has me in a conundrum. Yes, it has 3-4 new flower buds. They should not be there. Nikkos flower on old wood, not new wood. Any ideas?

I'd love to say that I mixed up the 2; the 3rd Nikko and the ES , but I am 100% sure I did not. Can a Nikko naturally become a remonetent? Any ideas? I am perplexed by this. Cheers, Jack

Comments (15)