SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackz411

ES /Nikko Experiment? Observations

jackz411
17 years ago

I have 2 large 8-9 year old Nikko's which I planted back then in full sun from 9-5 at this time of year. Full shade before and after those times. Over the years they have wilted a few times when the temps get high. Above 88. I may only get 10 days each summer that get that hot. With the passing of each year they wilt less in the hot temps I get. In other words the heat does not affect them as much as when they were young and I have never moved them and they are 5x5. On those few 90 degree days they get a good dose of water if I am home. But they only wilt a little. In about 2 1/2 weeks the daylight time will start to decrease and each day the sun will be a little lower in the sky. As the sun lowers the tall trees which ring the property will begin to filter and shade the sun so that shortly they will only get full sun from 10-3. And over the weeks that will decrease as the sun drops and the shade grows. Late June and early July are the hottest and have the most direct sunlight here.

I am trying to not have to build a new garden to accomodate the Hydrangea requirement of morning sun and afternoon shade. That would be my only resort which would entail alot of work, like first cutting down part of the surrounding forest to build a new garden.

So I got 9 ES both 1 and 2 gallon sizes and a few 2 gallon Nikkos to compare results. My though is to train them to behave like the older Nikko's in regard to full sun. I don't think it would work in a warmer zone but here in Vermont it just might. Most plants have some adaptability. And it is a fairly cool climate comparatively.

Yesterday and today I had my big heat and sun wave, reached 88 yesterday with big hot sun and I got a good wilt on most but not all of the ES and Nikko's. It was selective. Spot watered them at 4 and within an hour they were back and fine. Today only hit 85 and there was much less wilt and by 4 a storm and rain moved in. Any wilt disappeared with the clouds and rain.

I am not yet quite sure if the wilt is a result of young plants being in the ground only a month? OR if it is the roots needing more water? OR if the leaves just cannot tolerate the direct sun? Or a combination? But I think the immature small root system has alot to do with it because my old Nikko's were fine. I think it is a combination but I am not sure and my hydrangea experience is next to nothing.

Any input is appreciated, again don't try this in hotter zones, Cheerio. JK

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH