SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Why can't I get my plant to flowr on old growth?

meyermike_1micha
16 years ago

I have a 7 year old plant that is called nikko blue. It is not an endless summer, and I was told the only way to get flowers on this shrub is for the buds to grow on old wood or, last years branches. Is this true? If so I will dig mine up this summer and toss it. All it does is get huge and green. At the end of summer, before first hard frost hits, for 3 years I have been protecting it from winter cold and winds by wrapping it up in burlap, and covering the branches with oak leaves in the burlap completly to the top.. Not until after the last hard frost is gone, do I uncover my plant. and I wait to watch it come back. Well every year, new buds emerge only from the bottom 1/4 of the bush and the rest of the branches just dry out and die off. I don't understand? I have to cut dead branches off every year to the new growth and I CAN NOT get new growth towards top of tree. What am I doing wrong? I have to keep depending on new growth from bottom of plant every year, and we know that flowers do not form on the new growth.

Even my endless summer plants come back every year with dead branches, and new growth emerging from the very bottom of the plants. I have to cut all the dead, last years branches off after I have made sure there is no life in them by about JUNE. Please help!! Any ideas? Thanks so much. Any ideas?

They are also grown in my back yard in protected areas in full 6-8 hours of sun.

Here is the funny thing, how do other people do it, get new growth emerging from the top of their plants without all this work. I just drove by a house today with growth flushing from the very top of his, loaded with new buds, and I never saw his covered at all in the winter.

Any ideas?

Comments (2)