SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Am I the only one who breaks the rules?

I have read many, many posts on here about growing hosta in pots and how you have to be careful about keeping them dry in the winter and not putting them in too big of a pot for their size.

Long before I ever knew about this forum, I planted hosta in pots all over the yard (in potting soil) and just left them where they stood during the winter. I did not cover them or try to keep them dry. I even put some in pots that were way to big for the plant and all of them have always come back each year. I have been doing this for at least 12 years. Our winters here in northern Utah are cold (below freezing most of the time) and usually snowy.

Last fall I had some hosta in 4" and 6" nursery pots that did not get planted and I just left them sitting on the patio all winter with several feet of snow piled on top of them. All of them are now growing. So I am just wondering why some people have such trouble with them rotting in pots and I don't?

I guess I should just be grateful that they keep coming back right? Anyone else do what I do?

Linda

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor