SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimigold_gw

Cardinal Flower Issues- Faded Leaves & Dark Spots

MimiGold
11 years ago

This was my first summer at growing Cardinal Flowers and while they only grew about 2 feet tall, they flowered nicely. However, about a month or so ago the leaves started looking bad. They lost their green luster and became pale or developed brown/black spots. I hope someone here can take a look at the picture I have included and help me understand what is going on with these 2 Cardinal Flowers.

More Info:

Plant #1 (1st & 2nd picture) receives full sun from the crack of dawn until about 10am, bright shade from 10am to 2pm, full sun from 2pm to 3:30, and full shade after that. Looking at the picture of it taken back in June, it was doing fine with this amount of sunlight and its location. I have been watering it by hand once a day (twice a day on extremely hot days.) Now the leaves are no longer dark green. They have faded and developing a reddish, brown color on leaf edges.

Plant #2 (3rd & 4th picture) receives light morning sun, filtered & partial sun until about 4pm and then full sun from 4pm to 6pm, shade after that. It is under a very tall oak tree, so the shade isn't dark shade. It is always very bright shade. I water it the same as I do Plant #1. It last flowered about 8 days ago, but the flower was pretty small. I noticed the brown/black spots on 2 leaves within the last few days. The leaves on the stem are much lighter than the rosette, which is dark green and appears very healthy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting