SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesforthesoul

Gray spots on leaves

rosesforthesoul
12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I just registered today and this is my first post. I have always wanted to grow roses but, until recently, I had not have the opportunity to do so. I decided to start "small" as I have always admired miniature roses very much. So, last spring, I got a couple of roses at a "grocery store" as I just couldn't resist how beautiful they looked. I did some research here and learned how to separate and re-pot them. I must said that I followed all the "guidelines" and it worked out perfectly. The roses have been doing so well that I kept getting more and I have ended up with 28. Up until now, they have been doing beautiful: growing strong and flowering "non-stop". I have only lost a few of them and it was during the "separation process", so I cannot complain. These roses have become my "pride and joy" as growing them have helped me to feel better about some personal issues. They have become a very important part of my daily life.

Nevertheless, since a couple of days ago, I have noticed that something is wrong: a lot of the leaves falling off and some kind of "grey stain" on the leaves and after a day or two, the leaves just turn into a "skeleton". I have also noticed that there are "biting marks" on some of the leaves and some kind of "strings" hanging from the leaves. This morning, I inspected them very carefully and I couldn't see any bugs on the leaves, but in one of the buds, there was something that looked like a worm or caterpillar, it was kind of white with some spots and when I touched it, it curled up. I only found one of them. All of the roses have new growth and are setting new buds, but I am really worry about this.

Here are the conditions in which I have them:

1. They are outside, along the front windows of my house in three and five gallons plastic pots.

2. The growing medium I am using is : 1/3 organic cow manure, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 organic potting soil.

3. They get direct sunlight from early in the morning until around 2 p.m., afterwards, it is shady.

4. The place where they are is very well ventilated and there is about 16/20 inches between each pot.

5. They don't get rain on and the sprinklers don't hit them.

6. I water them about once a week, without letting any water get in the leaves.

7. I have been using Bayer Advance Three in One (water soluble solution)every six weeks and then, every two weeks Miracle Grow fertilizer for roses (water soluble also). I have used both products to half their strength.

8. I re-pot all of them about a week ago and didn't notice anything wrong with the roots, quite the contrary: they look healthy.

9. I am in Central Florida and it has been EXTREMELY hot the last month and a half and in the last week, it has been not only hot but also cloudy and rainy, specially in late afternoons/early evenings.

I took pictures of the damage to the plants and also of the worm/caterpillar I found, but I don't know how to post them here. If somebody could tell me how to do it, I would very much appreciate it.

I have been doing some research about diseases and pests on roses, but I am very confuse with all the information that is out there and don't want to try anything that may not be the "right solution" for the problem and may make things worse.

I look forward to hear some advice on this matter as I am worry that whatever is going on may be the demise of my little roses.

Thanks in advance for your attention, your time and your advice!

Comments (7)

Sponsored