SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Planting too close

Almost every plant available to the home gardener/landscaper comes with a suggested spacing for planting, but I'm wondering if there is a practice, scheme, strategy or whatever for putting two complimenting plants in the same hole. This is frequently done in planters with 3-4 (sometimes more) different plants sharing the same plants, but these usually are accompanied by the idea that you will have to water/feed more frequently. But I don't think I've seen this in practice in a garden.

Now, the reason I'm asking is because I am looking at possibly adding either a Florida Azalea (Rhododendron austrinum) or a Pinxter Azalea (R. canescens), but I can't settle on which one and I don't really have the room to add both. But as I look at pictures of them both, I see a lot of similarities in growth habit. Both have some somewhat twiggy habits, which is fine by me. But if I were to put one specimen of each type in the same hole, it would give the impression of a fuller plant. Aesthetically speaking, I could be wrong, but I don't think it would normally be recommended to mix yellow and pink together and I can't say that what I'm imagining is all that appealing. However, Mail Order Natives has an apricot-colored var. of the Florida Azalea and a white-colored var. of the Pinxter. These two colors should work together if both bushes bloom at the same time. I just don't know if it's something I should do or avoid, so I'm looking for input.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths