SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Canning pumpkins and winter squash suggestions wanted

John__ShowMe__USA
13 years ago

As copied from my 16 qt Presto pressure cooker/canner manual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PUMPKIN AND WINTER SQUASH

Wash and remove seeds. Cut into 1-inch slices and peel. Cut flesh into 1-inch cubes. Boil 2 minutes in water. CAUTION: Do not mash or puree. Pack hot squash cubes loosely in clean, hot Mason jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Cover with boiling water, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust jar lids.

Process at 10 pounds pressure - Pints 55 and Quarts 90 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just seems rather boring to me. Can it be tweaked a little to enhance the natural flavors? My last squash (butternut) was used to make a scallop chowder burrito mix. I might want to make pumpkin/squash pie or some other burrito mixture.

Need to do something soon with maybe 30 lbs squash/pumpkins still have left in my basement. I keep the basement approximately 55-60ð F for storing canned goods, vegetables, doing fermentations, etc, but don't think is cold enough to keep the squash more than a few months. Freezer is full & I think putting up in quart jars is the answer.

Use chicken stock instead of water? Add any spices?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz