SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

riddle me this

pnbrown
14 years ago

So I'm at my central fla place and it had rained pretty close to two inches by this morning since yesterday morn. I was digging in the garden and I noticed that only the top half to three-quarters of an inch of sand is soaked, with a sudden transition to quite dry sand. This is an area that was slightly bowl-shaped, so it isn't a case of the water running off. I checked around different areas, and it's the same deal everywhere except for spots that catch a lot of run-off.

So how does two inches of rain get captured in a half-inch of sand? I was under the impression that florida sands are extremely highly drained, but this evidence seems to contradict that. It seems more likely that the water sits right at the top on flat areas and either evaporates quickly when the sun comes out or is transpired by shallow-rooted plants if it remains overcast for long periods. I would also guess that this condition encourages trees and shrubs to be shallow and widely rooted, to use the water quickly before it evaporates since it does not penetrate.

I'm thinking that young trees need a lot of mulch around them and not grass, more than I may have thought.

Comments (6)