SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenghoul

Sigh....heartbroken....

blutayle
13 years ago

I was hoping against hope...maybe in denial after last winter....we couldn't have another winter like last...went out and spent quite a bit last month at Home Depot and Lowes replanting annuals everywhere to bring life back to a scorched landscape...now it is all mush this morning....did some research and it seems we are heading back in time to the 80's where the NAO remained negative for years...I guess this is a cycle of every 12 years or so. Back come the frequent freezes of the mid to late 80's and early 90's...guess I got spoiled by the fairly mild winters since the late 90's. Next Monday they are talking worse than this week and with snow pack covering much of the northern half of the nation...there will be no modifying this air mass....I was always against plastic plants in Florida...maybe heading out to Kmart or Michaels today to have another look....sigghhh......

Comments (5)

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Plastic plants?? No matter how long I cook it, it still tastes like plastic. At least the wax fruit is easier to chew.

Lou

• katkin_gw
    13 years ago

Lou, you are too funny. :o)

I was hoping too that this winter would be warmer again. I love the days in the 70's with the windows open. Seems like we don't get many of those now.

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

Today felt like a day up North. I expected at any minute I would be seeing snow flakes!

• sharbear50
    13 years ago

One thing to say, it sucks! I never have cared much for snow or cold. I don't know how I lived in the frozen north so long.

• Tom
    13 years ago

One has to adapt. When I first bought my house I bought a lot of hibiscus because the flowers were so beautiful. After a few winters and lots of digging and replacing I was cured of the normal hibiscus. The Rose of Sharon and the Turks Cap were keepers.

After the severe freezes of last year I started buying plants that were listed as surviving in zone 8. I bought perhaps ten different types of salvias and others that bloom and attract hummingbirds. My roses, camellias, azaleas and gardenias drop flowers, but don't really mind the cold very much. I have sweet bay magnolias for tiger swallowtails and they like the cold weather.

That said, I still have a lot of plants that get hit hard by the cold. The ones I really treasure I put in big pots and haul them into the garage when the weather turns very cold. Lots of work, but it's more work having to dig them out, buy new plants and go through all the time and effort pampering them when they are young and waiting for them to bloom.