SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
g_stuckey

Two Questions: Apple Butter, Banana Butter

ginger_s
17 years ago

Hi All,

I lurk here quite often to find answers to questions on my canning journey. I have a couple of questions for you all.

1. The last time I made crockpot apple butter, I put the lid on the crock and it boiled over into the base unit, ruining the base unit since I can't immerse it. The next batch I made without a top but I don't like to do that. I was thinking about punching some holes or slits in some foil and tenting the foil over the crockpot. Or even propping the glass lid up somehow. I just don't want to ruin another crockpot.

2. I've made two batches of banana butter and it is delish. I add cinnamon and cloves. MMMMMM Anyway, I digress. I want to make some no sugar to very low sugar banana butter (and apple butter). I have some of the no-sugar sure jell or ball pectin. I was considering experimenting with Splenda or the Splenda baking blend. I have two concerns. When I add the sugar, and stir it in over the heat, the banana volume increases. I do not know what to expect with no-sugar pectin and Splenda and want to be prepared. Also, I am not sure of the Splenda to sugar ratio.

Any answers?

Thanks in advance.

Ginger

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!