SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

cranberry jalapeno jelly variations

17 years ago

In my continuing quest to make jellies that only use powdered pectin (b/c my friends all want the recipes and I don't think as newbies they are ready to go the mailorder pomona's route) I'm trying to recreate the cranberry jalapeno that I made with liquid pectin. My first thought is to make a substution of 100% cranberry juice that I got at the bio (organic) store for apple juice in the pepper jelly recipe from the blue book. And use more hot peppers in place of some of the sweet peppers.

Issue one is that I'm not sure if it will have enough cranberry taste. So I thought I would simmer some chopped cranberries with the juice before adding the pectin. Since they are high in pectin and acidic, I think I can make this addition without messing it up.

Issue two is that I like to have pieces of peppers in the jelly. I'd like to puree only the sweet peppers and then add finely diced hot peppers to the juice and cranberry mixture. Does anyone see a problem with leaving the peppers in the jelly. I'd be willing to reduce the total amount peppers in the recipe in favor of leaving the hot peppers in.

My other thought is to take the surejell cranberry jelly recipe, compare the ratios to the cranberry jalapeno recipes and work off of that. It would use more cranberry juice. I'll link to that recipe below.

Does anyone have any thoughts about it?

PEPPER JELLY

Source: Ball "Blue Book"

7 sweet green bell peppers

1 jalapeno pepper

1 1/2 c. vinegar, divided

1 1/2 c. apple juice

1 package powdered pectin

1/2 tsp. salt

5 c. sugar

green food coloring, optional

Wash peppers, remove stems and seeds, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (suggest wearing rubber gloves while handling jalapeno, juices can "seep" into skin and resist washing out right away; OUCH if you rub your nose or eye -- I speak from experience!)

Puree half of peppers and 3/4 cup vinegar in blender or food processor, pour into large bowl. Puree remaining peppers and vinegar and add to other. Stir in apple juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Strain pureed mixture through damp jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice, adding additional apple juice if needed to make 4 cups.

Combine juice, pectin, and salt in large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, again stirring. Remove from heat, skimming foam if needed. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar lids and adjust two piece lids.

Process 5 minutes (or longer if altitude adjustment is needed) in boiling water canner. Yield: about 6 half pints.

NOTE: Can substitute sweet red peppers and red food coloring.

Here is a link that might be useful: surejell cranberry jelly

Comments (3)