SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Freezing Pickled Peppers -- Would This Work?

denninmi
15 years ago

Hello, I need advice/opinions on something.

I grew a whole bunch of 'Sweet Pickle' and 'Mini-Belle' peppers, and I have a bumper crop. My original intention was to can a number of jars of them, which I did.

Well, I covered the plants the other night against frost, and now, there is no more frost predicted for at least a week. So, I have at least a bushel of these little peppers out there, most of them perfectly ripe, either red or yellow/orange, depending upon the variety.

I have run completely out of jars, and there are essentially none to be had in the Detroit suburbs except for one store where they are almost $13 a dozen, and I'm not paying that much for them.

So, my thought was, just process them the normal way, cooked in a pickling brine of vinegar, salt, sugar, spices, and then pack them into freezer containers and freeze them with the brine. I could put a bit of ascorbic acid in the brine to help with color retention.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I think the worst thing that would happen would be they would be softer than canned peppers, but that is alright, because mostly they end up on pressed panninis, in antipasto and pasta salads, that sort of thing anyway, where they are essentially smashed and mashed or cut up before serving.

Comments (5)