SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decemberdaisy

Can Anything Be Pressure Canned & Other PC Questions

decemberdaisy
12 years ago

I know my lead-in question is potentially explosive -- let me re-phrase the question. Can any approved canning recipe be pressure canned?

I've been consistently canning for the last few years and I really enjoy it. I've been exclusively BWB but I'm discovering that I'd like to expand my repitoire into canning low acid items & I also like the additional safety pressure canning offers (especially with things like tomatoes).

1. If I were to purchase a pressure canner, can I use it for things I could also can with a BWB like unsweetened applesauce? Or is a pressure canner really just for things like tomatoes (& tomato products), meats & low acid veggies?

2. Can a pressure canner work as a multi-tasker by using it as a BWB without pressurizing the canner?

3. I am considering the all-american 921 21 1/2 qt pressure canner (holds 7qts or 19 pts). I understand that it is one of the only modern pressure canners NOT using a gasket. Is there a benefit to this as opposed to canners with a gasket?

I'm sorry if this seems like an ignorant newbie question, but if I'm going to invest $$$$ in a good quality pressure canner I want to do my homework!

Comments (8)