SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Freeze Radichhio?

jimster
15 years ago

Can radichhio successfully be frozen for later use in cooked dishes such as grilled radichhio?

I have a dozen LARGE radichhios (radichhii?) in my garden which are getting larger every day and will soon present me with an embarrassment of riches. The plants are beautiful and there is no way I can consume them in a short period of time. If they can be frozen, that would allow me to get full enjoyment from them. I realize that, after being frozen, they would be unattractive as salad greens and there is no way I could use that quantity of salad greens anyway, but maybe they would be fine for cooked preparations.

I have little experience with radichhio, as I suspect is the case with most members of this forum. Experience based info, ideas based on experience freezing other green vegetables, or recipes are welcome.

Jim

Comments (2)

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Italian cooks often used escarole and various chicories as cooked greens in recipes. I've seen Lydia Bastianich make an escarole and lemon soup, with a chicken stock base and rice, which sounded pretty good -- it might be on her website, do a google search for 'Lydia's Italy'. Mary Anne Esposito did an escarole and cheese filling for ravioli on 'Ciao Italia' -- try googling that as well, or go to one of the cooking sites like recipezaar.com and see what pops up.

However, radicchio will store for at least a couple moths, and, if conditions are right, for the winter, if you bury it below the frost line in a pit lined with straw, similar to the way cabbbage can be stored. The key seems to be keeping the pit dry, so that the straw remains light and fluffy and the heads don't rot. If you try this, pull it and leave the roots on. I'd do this very late, just before it's going to freeze up and ruin the raddichio. Worked for me when I tried it a few years ago -- did a pit with cabbages, some root veggies, radicchios, chinese cabbage, etc.

Dennis

• jimster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for those good suggestions, Dennis. All of them sound worth trying. I like beans and greens very much. I make it with escarole, but the radichhio would work well too I'm sure. I will give serious consideration to the storage pit idea. It is an idea I have thought of from time to time. Maybe it's time to go for it.

Jim

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz