SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

My first sauerkraut

tracydr
13 years ago

I made pink sauerkraut! I just love pink! It has the loveliest purple juice, too! I used half green and half red cabbage, some pink lady apples, onions (will use red onions next time), and caraway seeds. Salted and stuffed into a gallon, quart and pint jar. It was so juicy and delicious! My house is still a bit warm around 78 degrees so I used a packet of yogurt starter to help the lactobacillus get going before any spoilage.

I'm so excited! I bet with these temps I'll have some sauerkraut in a couple of weeks! I'm in love with homemade pink sauerkraut! Thinking of all the ways I can serve it. Eating it out of the jar with homemade rye bread sounds best! Or, pastrami, homemade rye and kraut sandwiches!

Comments (41)

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Fry some good keilbasa or beer sausage, then dump the drained kraut in. Pop a lid on it and let the kraut warm.
    Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juice. YUM!!

A delicious, tummy warming, simple meal.

Deanna

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Kraut/dog burritos!

I prefer red cabbage over green for kraut. Try adding a few dried juniper berries to one of your jars and see if you like the results. (you remove them as you eat the finished kraut)

• Related Discussions

Harvested my first zucchini from my first garden :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Pn, I think you can keep the thrill alive by growing something new, but you're right the first year is probably the most exciting lol... Congrats on the zuke Aili!
    ...See More

My first post & my first blooms!

Q

Comments (12)
    Aw, thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to post more pictures, once I get more blooms. I really enjoy seeing everyone's beautiful flowers. Since I am a newbie to daylilies, this year I stuck to buying older, inexpensive varieties - so I hope that I don't bore anyone with my obscure flowers. It is just such a pleasure to find people who "get it" and can appreciate my flower obsession. My garden is planted in a community garden, and the vast majority of people plant only vegetables/herbs. I know that some of them think I am crazy for planting only flowers, but I tell them that I help to attract tons of bees and butterflies to pollinate their crops!
    ...See More

Sauerkraut question...

Q

Comments (7)
    It could simply be that the warm temperatures accelerated the process and your batch of kraut is done. Before you taste anything, how does it look? Is the liquid cloudy? It should be yellowish in color. Red, pink, brown, etc., are strong indications that something has gone bad. How does it smell? If it smells sharp, crisp, a bit yeasty, and sour, chances are that it's fine. If it has an off, putrid, or "non sauerkraut" smell, trust your nose. Scald a fork and fish some out. Rub it between your fingers. How does it feel? Does it feel slimy, gooey, or very soft? That's a strong indication that things have gone south. If, however, it feels clean and crisp, not unlike fresh, but wet, cabbage, and it sort of squeaks when you rub it together, that's a very good sigh. Finally, and ONLY if it passes all those other tests, taste a very small piece. If it tastes like kraut, it's kraut. If, however, it tastes wrong, spit it out and rinse very thoroughly with Listerine.
    ...See More

a sauerkraut question

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the info everyone. I tasted the kraut again today. Whereas the saltiness was nearly inedible at 9 days, at 18 days it seems about normal. I'm really jazzed about this! I'll definitely do this again in a slightly larger quantity. I do have one question. I had removed some of the kraut at 9 days, and simply pushed the plastic bags in to top the remainder. There was a tiny bit of mold on the side of the jar where the bag was and a tiny bit in the kraut. I removed the mold and wiped out the inside top of the jar. At that point I couldn't smell or taste any mold. As a precaution, I boiled the kraut for a few minutes, then stuffed in a new jar and refrigerated. Did this boiling kill the beneficial lactibacillus bacteria? I'm trying to find more foods besides yogurt/kefir with probiotics. And, is is still safe to keep the kraut in the fridge long term, even after it's been boiled?
    ...See More
  • tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was afraid I wouldn't like juniper berries but I'll put a few in the little pint jar. Never had them before.
    I'll stock up on homemade rye, kielbasa, corn beef, brats, barley and some good hot dogs. Eating right out of the jar sounds good too.
    The smell today is yummy!

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I started making my first sauerkraut this summer.

I have some all red cabbage going now.

I ate 2 jars already of the best sauerkraut I ever ate in my life. I eat all my sauerkraut raw not cooked. I want the healthy bacteria which is super healthy.

There is no sense in going to the trouble of making sauerkraut and then cooking it and killing the bacteria.

I like to add other veggies to the bottle. Julienne carrots work well. I love the red cabbage also. Next year I hope to grow lots of red cabbage for kraut. I have some beets going now. almost ready to harvest and use with a new kraut batch. That should color the kraut.

I like lots of onions and garlic in the kraut. onions seem to work very well with the cabbage.

Last week, I bought some Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter - 6-5 gm for about $5.50 for 6 packs of 5 grams each inside the box. I use just a little so it goes a long way. I hope this works well. Too early to know just yet.

In the summer I used regular yogurt whey. whey is the "water" in a yogurt container. That works real well.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

"Last week, I bought some Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter - 6-5 gm for about $5.50 for 6 packs of 5 grams each inside the box. I use just a little so it goes a long way. I hope this works well. Too early to know just yet."

That's the brand that gave me my culture start some years back. Since then always have several jars going. You can feed it whole milk as seldom as once a month in a cold fridge to keep active. Kefir whey or unfiltered sourdough hooch is how I jump-start my fermentations. Both are faster than the powder and the sourdough faster than the Kefir.

1 or 2 juniper berries per pint is all I use. 3 per quart. You might like more.

I poured some refrigerated runny sourdough & hooch into a new pint jar yesterday. Will keep at room temp and feed it for a couple days before starting my kraut.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

About using "starters" to ferment foods - was wondering if I could add some blue cheese or roguefort cheese to boiled milk, then fermented in a yougurt box - what would be the result?

I recently purchased some Greek yogurt - a bit more zing to it - and have kept some going for subsequent yougurts. It makes a great ranch type dressing, when mixed with mayo and spices.

But recently wondered what a blue cheese culture added to my usual yogurt recipe would create?

I would like to find more fermenting, culture recipes (and wines too) - is there a recipe book recommended?

Bejay

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Here are some fermenting books that I have:

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Hi John - thank you for the information. I am definitely interested - especially for fermenting vegetables. I note that the approved canning sites seem to have very little in the way of other foods, outside of sauerkraut

I made a wonderful green cherry tomato relish this summer, but didn't follow any special recipe for it - so there are questions as to what vegetables - if any - require special treatment when fermenting. One in particular, seems to be green beans - which I noted needed slight blanch before fermentation. But the thoughts came to mind, that perhaps some veggies have more water content - so possibly stronger brine mix - perhaps? So, as I say, I'm still pretty new at it but so far really do like my sauerkraut, and my family has learned to eat it.

The last book sounds like a good one, will try to locate it.

Much obliged.

Bejay

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Hi Bejay,

"The last book sounds like a good one, will try to locate it."

My fav book is the 1st one, but got ideas from all. Amazoned them am pretty sure. Will post a link for a few pages of the last one. Includes sauerkraut so will be on topic.

And I'm not qualified to vouch for the safeness of recipes/methods in any of the books, so buyer beware. Done a fair amount of experimenting with fermenting the last few years and do have preferences. Can't stand too much salt in anything so always use low salt recipes. Hate mold so gave my Harsch Crock away and now use a closed jar system.

Sauerkraut, dill pickles and green beans are the only ferments I've done that have recipes feel completely happy with.

j

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Fermentation

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"the Joy of Pickling " is a very nice book.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had a tiny bit of browness on top of one jar today. I took of the discolored area and everything else seems crunchy and tasty. I really need to get an adequate container for my next batch. Without spending huge bucks, what do y'all use?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

"I really need to get an adequate container for my next batch. Without spending huge bucks, what do y'all use?"

I've gone from a Harsch crock (hated it & gave away), to 1 gal Ball Ideal jars to regular quart and pint canning jars. No more molds or "off" tastes and is convenient for storing and using.

Just how safe is making sauerkraut?

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What did you not like about the Harsh crock? What do you use to weigh your kraut down? I'm trying a bag of brine with a plate on top. I have a gallon jar, a quart jar and a pint jar. The quart is the one that browned. I can't seem to figure out how to get just the right amount in the bag to weight the stuff down.
    I think maybe I overfilled the jars with cabbage.
    I used the same yogurt starter as you. It worked really well on my hot pepper purée last summer.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

"What did you not like about the Harsh crock?"

Kahm yeast mold. I just don't see any reason to put up with it when it is so easily preventable by finger-tight capping a regular canning jar.

"What do you use to weigh your kraut down?"

Used to use clear glass 'marbles' in a nylon tulle fabric. Hobby Lobby sells both. Now I just add more water to the kraut. The CO2 bubbles don't get trapped as easily so don't form pockets that push the kraut up and out. Shake the capped jar every day or two if you feel you must. Fresh whey or hooch gets the fermenting started immediately so the old air quickly gets pushed out and replaced by the carbon dioxide. Loosen the lid a little every few days to let some gas escape if you are worried about blowing something up.

But, just how safe is making kraut?

• caboodle
    13 years ago

I love my Harsch crock. Mine is a smaller one - I think it's somewhere around 2 1/2 gallons or a little bigger.

What I love about the Harsch crock (I don't use anything but salt and vegetables/spices; no whey or starter) is that if you don't let the water trough run dry, it let's the kraut burp out gas from the fermentation while keeping the seal airtight. I started a batch of kraut yesterday and I can hear the crock emitting a tiny little burp which is a bubble popping at the top of the trough.

I also love the way it looks. Definitely Kraut can be made in a less expensive way, though. OTOH, I'm sure that if I don't drop it or anything like that, my daughter will inherit my crock.

I'm really interested in trying one of the the Pickl-It products linked to at the end of this message. Has anybody tried them? I'm thinking of asking Santa for a couple of smaller liter or liter-and-a-half ones for Christmas.

Judi

Here is a link that might be useful: PickliIt Products

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

"I'm really interested in trying one of the the Pickl-It products linked to at the end of this message. Has anybody tried them?"

Judi,

No, but really like the concept. There is a brewers supply store maybe 25 min drive from here and I got a lot of ideas there. Bought some rubber stoppers and a couple kinds of airlocks to mess with. Just a Dremmel Tool and electric drill needed for alterations.

{{gwi:960584}}

It would be so much easier to order from your source.

But is it safe?

j

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I added more brine today after taking a bit of cabbage off the top. I think I hadn't left enough head space was my problem.
    I think sauerkraut is very safe and other than the salt, very healthy. Have you ever read how it kept sailors from dying of scurvy?

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

As far as being safe, I can't find much info on anyone with food poisoning, however an evening of beer and kimchee might make one 'difficult' to ride next to on a plane or train or automobile.... You'll know pretty quickly if its gone off - it smells gawd awful. Where as if it works, it smells wonderful.

The link is an extensive overview of fermented foods around the world and mentions some of the signs of contaminated fermentation.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

My cabbages are from my garden, and because I only grow a few at a time, that is the way I preserve them. The pint jar method works best for me. It usually takes one head of cabbage to fill 3 pint jars, which when finished yields 2 pints of sauerkraut.

The brine bag on top of each jar - to keep out air, while letting gases or juices escape, has been successful, and no air-borne contaminates have yet to spoil any batches so far.

This summer, I tried making wine from the abundant plums we had, and became familiar with the air lock that John has pictured above. It sounds like a great idea, and much more efficient, I'm sure, than the brine bag. It works the same way, allowing gases to escape, without letting contaminents in.

J - I think you should patent the idea, or perhaps make and sell them to fit standard canning jars.

Bejay

• gardengalrn
    13 years ago

Your pink kraut sounds delish! It actually made me include some purple cabbage to my garden plan for next spring. Do you mind sharing the recipe? I made some plain stuff this past year, using quart and pint jars as someone mentioned above. It now has some browning around the top, is it still safe to eat? No mold, sediment or cloudiness. Lori

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used:
    3tbs salt per 5 pounds
    1large pink lady and small yellow apple per 5 pounds
    Green and red sauerkraut- will with all red next time, it seems juicier and prettier
    1tbsp caraway seed per 5 pounds
    Extra brine is 1tbsp salt per quart
    Pack and pound sliced or shredded veggies into containers. I mixed my dried yogurt starter (optional) with the salt, sprinkling salt in layers while packing.
    I measured salt for each batch that I shredded/ packed to make sure as I went align that it got the right amount. I understand that salt helps with preventing harmful enzyme activity, worse in a warmer house like mine. This is also true of sourdough starter. I have to add a sprinkle of salt, especially with rye, which has more activity.
    I had some brown discoration on my top layer where it got to dry about the first week so make sure to leave enough room for an inch or two of brine, than a plastic bag of brine and your lid.
    The discolored ares had an off smell but I scraped it off and the underneath smells and tastes fine.
    Two weeks today. Our house is about 73 degrees and it's beginning to taste like sauerkraut.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just realized, it's been 1 week, not two. Wow, it's going to be so good at two weeks! How do you guys wait for 5-6 weeks?

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

About sailors and scurvy -

Some years ago, I spent a "working" vacation down in the Florida islands - great fun! Anyway, the story goes around those islands, that the first key limes, which grow wild there, were planted by the English sailors many years ago, in order to prevent scurvy.

There are many stories about pirates burying their treasures on the islands, or hiding in the back bays - only to sail out and kidnap the ladies and loot ships, traveling back and forth across the gulf -

Anyway, that's the story they told me - honest!

Not sure what that has to do with "kraut" but it sort of relates to "scurvy."

Bejay

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

tracydr writes: "1tbsp caraway seed per 5 pounds"

That's much more than I've ever used. (just an observation) Possibly just a taste preference thing. Such as I find cumin too overpowering to use much in my cooking & can't stand using rye flour in my sourdough even though it really gets things going.

"Some years ago, I spent a "working" vacation down in the Florida islands - great fun!"

Bejay,

I soooo envy your experience! My son sent me a Doc Ford novel years ago & I was hooked. Maybe in my next life...

"Our house is about 73 degrees and it's beginning to taste like sauerkraut."

tracydr,

Don't you just love it! Kinda like when dehydrate stuff.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so excited! We eat a lot of rye bread with fennel and caraway seed so our taste buds are pretty adjusted.
    I took the seed amounts from "The Joy of Picklin". She had various things you can add and the quantity suggestions.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Thanks to Kay and Zabby in the FoodSaver thread I've been experimenting with custom cut bags and sealed up most of my juniper berries. It takes just two or three (according to me) to season a quart of fermenting kraut so have more than can use in my lifetime because I don't use them in any of my cooking. (yet!... just noticed the beef stew reference & is something I make and freeze every winter)

pic of penzeys juniper label

{{gwi:960586}}

I packaged in small amounts that will fit in a standard envelope and have several extras.

Will be happy to share & no charge.

j

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Thanks to Kay and Zabby in the FoodSaver thread I've been experimenting with custom cut bags and sealed up most of my juniper berries. It takes just two or three (according to me) to season a quart of fermenting kraut so have more than can use in my lifetime because I don't use them in any of my cooking. (yet!... just noticed the beef stew reference & is something I make and freeze every winter)

pic of penzeys juniper label

{{gwi:960586}}

I packaged in small amounts that will fit in a standard envelope and have several extras.

Will be happy to share & no charge.

j

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a very nice offer, J. I also found it at a Health food store, if anyone else is looking. I'd trade for some Pink Ey Purple Hull cowpeas to plant next year, or just send some if anyone needs.
    I'll have to try with beef stew as hubby doesn't like allspice. What do they taste like?

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday, I served up our first homemade sauerkraut with kielbasa. Also, gave a quart to mom and she served the same. Even the kraut haters loved it!
    Put a quart in the fridge, minus dinner. Quart to parents. Three in the freezer. Already making plans to make more since I can only do it with cooler weather here in AZ.
    Have to bake some rye bread for Ruben sandwiches this week, yummy!

• caboodle
    13 years ago

Yay! on your kraut turning out well! I have some in a crock that I'm pretty sure is ready; need to check it. Might even have it for supper tonight.

Judi

• ahbee01
    13 years ago

Any food grade bucket will do! I use an old crock, I line the crock with a food grade plastic bag,just in case it has a crack, or is lead paint.(It's really old, and has been in the family for a lot of years!) I weight it down with a plate, then a bowl that fits in the crock and fill jars with water and set them in the bowl, it makes a seal.It allows some air, but seldom have to skim any scum. I also cover with cheese cloth before the plate.
    I have used food grade buckets that cheese came in that a restaurant gave away! It was 4 gallons!

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to make more. All the kraut haters love it! I cooked a pork roast in a quart of kraut in the slow cooker, the taste was fantastic. After Thanksgiving, I'm going to start 3 gallon jars of pink kraut. Maybe try juniper berries in one.
    Might have to experiment with a little kimchi too.
    Just pulled a nice sourdough loaf out of the oven with fresh milled whole wheat.
    Has anyone ever read about using yeast water to leaven bread? It's yeast raised on a fruit water slurry, sort of like making kraut and using the juice to raise bread.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

why not try Sauerruben --- fermented turnip made almost exactly like sauerkraut... it is in Joy of Pickling. if you are interested and don't have the book ... I'll type it up ..directions are a bit lengthy.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kayskats! I love turnips and they're cheap right now. I have the book, it's where I got my sauerkraut recipe so I'll look it up. I was also considering some Lebanese beets but I think I'll make some traditional ones or maybe just with fennel and a little less sugar rather than fermenting them.
    My fermented hot pepper sauce from the summer seems to taste better and better all the time!

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I just a google search and got the recipe

http://tinyurl.com/2frapf5

This is from the older edition book so the new book might be different. maybe let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saueruben Joy of Pickling

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That recipe for turnips sounds yummy. I'll keep my eyes open for little ones. I've been seeing only giant ones around here. I love turnips and rutabagas. I wonder if jicama might work? It's readily available here in AZ.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

john showme -

I just re-read your post above, and you brought up a question that I have thought about. It's the garlic question - did you mean that garlic is not suitable for fermenting? I like to do various veggies - call it "end of year" types - adding a few garlics and Thai peppers to "perk" things up a bit. Then when finished - grind it all into a most wonderful hamburger relish.

However, the garlic always made me wonder - whether it might be a contaminant. The Thai peppers are dried - so perhaps dried garlic might also be considered - if the fresh is a problem.

Bejay

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

After I posted the sauer ruben link above. I found out that most of the book THE JOY OF PICKLING is there. in the upper left there is a link for contents. At least some of EVERY chapter is available. Most of the book seems to be there. But it is the older book with 200 recipes not the newer book with 250 recipes.

It is a google book. so it is not complete. It also will not easily be printed or saved to your computer. I do not know how to do either if it is possible. So if they take it down from the internet it will disappear. It is a legal copy with permission of the publisher. It also tends to blank out a few of the first few letters of a chapter. but that is no real problem.

So I saved up the link on my favorites on my computer so I can reference it any time. It is really interesting reading and I might buy the newer copy. But it has a shorter section on fermenting. I do not do vinegar pickles. so it is not fully useful for me.

also if you click the full screen box. it will get rid of the column on the left. the full screen is the box just to the left of the word contents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joy of Pickling

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

> ...did you mean that garlic is not suitable for fermenting?

Bejay,

No, but garlic seems to be highly anti-bacterial. Made several attempts to ferment it by itself & failed. Mix just about anything else with the whole or chopped cloves and you will succeed. Also discovered that the higher the capsaicin (heat) level of peppers the slower the fermentation so deduced that capsaicin is somewhat anti-bacterial. Pureed cantaloupe worked very well in hot pepper mash ferments to speed things up.

Just my personal observations & might not be scientific fact.

j

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

j - thanks for clearing that up, because it did seem that I read about that. I'll keep it low, and if necessary add some when being served.

Fermenting foods are preferable to vinegar processing in our household - so I think this coming year, I'll get some more literature and start reading up.

My son often cooks and likes to use the commercial garlic -either in cloves or chopped, which is canned in citric acid and salt. I prefer using fresh myself as it seems to have more of its own flavor. But often wondered if it might be a problem if opened and left in the fridge for a long time.

Appreciate the reply.

Bejay

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals