SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Bejay I agree with you re apple rings

prairie_love
17 years ago

I made the spiced apple rings today and I think that, other than the very first time I tried canning, it was my least enjoyable canning experience. Unless they are super good I won't be doing this again.

First, peeling and coring apples is not one of my favorite tasks, even though I have one of those hand crank do-hickeys. Second, I worried about the amount of syrup so made 1 1/3 the amount called for. It uses a TON of sugar, I have never made a syrup this heavy (12 C sugar to 6 C water and 1 1/4 C vinegar). It sort of made me feel ill to see all that sugar and now my kitchen is sticky from top to bottom.

I heated the syrup in one pot, then realized it wouldn't be big enough when I added the apples, so I had the apples in a bigger pot and added the syrup to that. The problem is that pot is too big for my burners and didn't ever come back to a boil. It came *close* to boiling, but never full boil. You're supposed to simmer for 5 minutes. Eventually I decided that the purpose is to get everything good and hot and that it had been hot for a long time, so I went ahead and canned without ever boiling - please don't tell me this was bad!

Because the apples sat in the hot syrup trying to come to a boil for so long (I didn't time it, maybe 20 minutes or so), they got quite soft. They still stayed as rings - Bejay didn't yours fall apart completely? but are very soft. It's all FINALLY in the BWB now and I am taking a much deserved break before I start cleaning sugar syrup off the counters and the floors and the drawer handles and the dogs' noses....

I must admit, I do realize there are places I could do it better next time, but still, this one wasn't fun.

Ann

Comments (21)