SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

Canning Safety Question

apoem
10 years ago

So.... I whipped up a batch of Annie's Salsa. Yum. Followed the recipe and canned it in a bwb. And now the question:

I had a bigger pot than I normally use (Don't remember why at this point... kid just grabbed it I think). And I put the jars in when the water was boiling/bubbling. Once I put the jars in it didn't seem to really boil.

Big bubbles came up and bubbled but it never did a full roiling boil.

I left the jars in for the required time (which wihtout looking at the recipe I don't remember). Then I tacked on another five minutes because the water really wasn't boiling full boil.

Took them out and they all popped and sealed.

I had my son helping me because he wanted to do some for Xmas presents for family/scout leaders. At the risk of discouraging him- I just said 'great job' and walked away, with the thought that if I need to do something else/different/again that I could do it and break it gently to him... and I wasn't sure I needed to do something different.

I did this several days ago and I have left the jars on my counter because I felt the need to get on here and ask....

So- now at this point what do I do? IS this ok? Safe? They all sealed and popped in... no clicking jar tops.

Or should I dump it all out, boil the salsa again and then recan it? Or just put the cans in a smaller pot and bring it to a boil?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH