SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grenage

First pickles (garlic)

grenage
13 years ago

Hi there,

I've only just started pickling things, and although I've read a fair amount online, I have a question. If anyone can shed some light, it would be much appreciated!

I am making some Seer Torshi, which is basically garlic pickled for 7+ years. While all of the 'old school' recipes I've read involve throwing salt, vinegar and garlic into a jar and closing the lid, I'm getting the impression that it's not recommended to do so now. Further reading suggested that for such a long pickle, I should vacuum the jar in a water bath.

I sterilised the jar (le parfait), added the garlic, added the salt and vinegar mix and sealed it. I then placed it into a makeshift water bath and brought the water to the boil; it stayed there for 10 minutes - no more air was escaping. I'm not sure how doing this will effect the garlic vs the 'old school' cold pickle, but still. I know that the seal is good, because I can un-clip the jar and lift it up via the lid.

My issue is, since the garlic floats quite readily, the top centimetre is exposed, and sitting in the vacuum/thin air. Is this a problem, and how do people get around it? I know that this is probably a silly question, but I've not been able to find an answer to it.

Russell.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County