SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_lou24

Linda Lou's Oatmeal muffins

Linda_Lou
14 years ago

OATMEAL MUFFINS

1 cup dry oatmeal

Â1 cup sour milk or yogurt or buttermilk (powdered buttermilk is fine)

Â1 medium egg

Â1/2 cup brown or white sugar

Â1/3 cup oil

Â1-1/4 cups flour

Â1/2 teaspoon each baking soda & salt

Â1 teaspoon baking powder

In a large bowl combine the oatmeal and buttermilk or sour milk. If you have the chance, let it stand for a few minutes, for the oatmeal to absorb some of the buttermilk. Add the egg, sugar and oil. Mix well. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Mix again, until all of the dry particles are moistened. Do not over mix. Place into well greased muffin tins or use paper liners. Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 20 minutes.

My notes:

To make sour milk, take 1 T. lemon juice and add one cup milk. Let sit a few minutes.

I add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1 cup mini chocolate chips if we want chocolate chip muffins. Regular sized chocolate chips are fine,too.

You can add a cup of diced apple or dried raisins, dried cranberries, whatever you want. I would not use fresh or frozen fruits that are too moist, however.

I often mix up all the dry ingredients ahead of time, then add the wet ingredients just before I bake them. A great time saver, plus would be a great gift for someone. Just include a note with the list of wet ingredients, along with baking instructions.

I prefer the richer taste of brown sugar in these than white sugar.

These freeze beautifully, if they last that long !

Comments (13)