SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnann_gw

hummer behavior

donnann
17 years ago

I have a window over my kitchen sink. It looks out the back yard which has a Shepard's hook with a small planter of red petunia's on one side and a hummer feeder on the other. It is right in the middle of the yard. Over the feeder is a small red round thing that kind of shields the feeder from too much sun.

Sat. evening I picked up my grandson and when we got our of the car I said "Tommy,look a hummer!" This perfect Little thing was sitting there. He didn't move. Tommy went in the house and got the recorder. He was still sitting there. He didn't fly away until Tommy got more than half way to the feeder. Within minutes he was back and stayed there for another 2 hrs. Sometimes on top of the pole and at times just sitting on the feeder.

Yesterday we had a horrible storm. Thunder that shook the ground and a downpour that was horrible. I looked out the window and THERE HE WAS SITTING ON THE FEEDER THROUGH THE WHOLE STORM. My heart broke and I wished I could get him and bring him in. Again he was there for hours. His mate comes and goes. He goes with her and comes back to sit. I am so scared he's sick b/c I've never seen this before. The kids think I'm foolish which is nothing new.

Have any of you ever seen this behavior before? I don't really know if this is a male or female but I know I'm in love.

Comments (3)