SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_in_se_pa

Stephanotis (Madagascar Jasmine) as a hummer plant!

18 years ago

{{gwi:2360}}

Took this pic less than an hour ago and my poor camera was trying hard to focus through the balcony door this morning, so it's sadly blurry... and she was even giving me plenty of time and opportunity to observe her and take a picture... But those of us in the NE and SE know it's been a slop bin of humidity the past couple weeks and I have condensation on all the windows and doors which makes the autofocus have issues and I couldn't get a clear pic. But anyway there she is, enjoying the stephanotis. I mean she was there for awhile too... It has started up a whole new set of blooms. I was supposed to repot it after the last bloom cycle but the blooming hasn't let up and has been going almost continually for 2 months. The leaves on the left are from one of my passifloras (P. x belotti). It's been a battle to keep the passie vine out of the stephanotis vine, as both are aggressive viners... LOL .

The past couple days I have had what I think might still be my hummer but now I wonder... because this one is suddenly exploring the rest of the balcony quite boldly. Which is very different from the previous and even current behavior of what I am used to - basically zoom to the feeder, sip sip sip, divebomb back down to the ground - all punctuated with an occassional sip from the blooming goldflame honeysuckle and earlier from the bee balm - and all of this done in the space of about 10 - 15 seconds max. But this change in behavior makes me wonder if this is the same female or a different female, since this one has been "dancing" very close to my windows, looking inside my diningroom and spending quite a bit of time checking out my stuff including the new set of 5 bloom clusters on the stephanotis and checking me out (I usually have on a red tank top and shorts... LOL). I was like a 2ft from her inside the glass doors at the time I took the picture and she didn't care that I was moving and struggling to capture her. She zoomed over to the door to look at me and the camera and I guess say hi to this flustered human!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County