SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickilovesboxers

Migrating Hummer in trouble

vickilovesboxers
15 years ago

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have left four hummingbird feeders out to help the young migrating Ruby Throats from the North. I am in southern Delaware and my local birds left by the end of the first week in September.

I have been having migrating visitors almost daily.

One young bird got here on Oct. 2, and seemed very healthy. On the evening of Oct. 3- I noticed that this hummer was having trouble swallowing. His favorite feeder is just outside my living room window and I have an excellent view.

Through binoculars I have observed this behavior--He drinks solution then raises his head totally skyward and seems to heave and heave(like having great difficulty swallowing) and he can not seem to get the last quarter inch of his tongue in.

I really did not think he would live through last night but he was at the feeder at 7:55 this am(Oct. 5)with the exact same behavior.

Could he have been stung by a wasp? I have noticed a couple at the feeders. Or does he have a disease?

I just want to help the little guy (or gal) live.

If he has something on his tongue he did not get it here. I change my feeders daily.

I wonder if a hummingbird can live through a bee or wasp sting?

Comments (10)