SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

South and the midwest heating up--northeast still cold

kristin_williams
17 years ago

Just look at this map from NOAA. If you move the cursor on the table over the highs and lows for each day, you can watch the predicted temperatures develop over the next week. This is good news for renewed hummer migration and for movement into the midwest. Click on the map itself, and you can get more precise temperatures for your area.

Poor us! Pennsylvania and New York and New England are still stuck in that nasty system of cold rain, snow, and cloudiness that just won't go away. I want to put my little seedlings outside, but not a chance before the weekend, and that's assuming those weather forecasters are right about the warmup. I hope they are.

If there is a silver lining in all of this for us, it's that I think we avoided the bulk of the frost damage seen in the south and midwest. To be sure, it got very cold (low 20's) but I don't think our plants were as far along when the cold hit, so they were less susceptible to damage. I think I lost my 3 Agastaches, but my Bleeding Hearts and native Columbine had only just begun growing, and I don't think their flower buds were far enough along to be harmed. I'm not sure about the trumpet vine, as it looks like some of the just emerging buds got zapped. I won't know until later. I'll be planting more hummer plants this spring, but saying a prayer that my mail order suppliers weren't hit hard.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA weather map--predicted highs and lows for the week

Comments (3)