SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckim88

Cymbidium Cold/Heat tolerance

ckim88
17 years ago

I have an unheated enclosed south-facing balcony with floor-to-ceiling windows that gets to up to 95F (usually about 87F, though) in the summer but almost never falls below 32F in the winter. The temperature can drop to as low as 28F about once a year on average (there is never snow or frost, because the balcony is enclosed). Winter night lows almost always fall below 50F.

I have a large planter in the balcony, and I am considering planting cymbidiums there much like how people in milder climates plant cymbidiums in the garden.

I once bought potted standards that were beginning to bloom in February. They survived the cold just fine and continued to bloom excellently but succumbed when summer came and never recovered. Growth started in spring but stopped in summer to never resume.

I think I will try miniatures this time. I think they will be able to tolerate the summer heat but I am not sure how much cold they will be able to take.

Anyone grow miniatures outdoors? How much cold can they take? I read somewhere that miniatures need winter temperatures about 10F higher. Is that true?

Comments (17)