SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyndapaz

I Need Help when Pressure Canning Vegetable Soup

lyndapaz
15 years ago

I hope I haven't broken any rules here. I posted these questions on the thread about pressure canning soup, but was afraid that it got lost since the thread was so long. I'm sorry if I shouldn't post twice, but I was hoping for answers before I did another batch today.

I followed, exactly, the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" recipe for Vegetable Soup. After boiling the veggies for the recommended 15 minutes the consistency was more like canned veggies than soup. (Even before cooking it didn't seem to have nearly enough liquid for soup.) Then I remembered reading this thread and so I followed the National Center's instructions for pressure canning soup, since I needed to add a lot of liquid. Can anyone suggest an easy way to estimate the amount of liquid needed to half fill a jar with solids and then fill the jar with the soup liquid? Also, do you need to leave the solids at the bottom of the jar while processing or is it okay to stir them up once the measurment is accurate. Am I right in thinking that the type of liquid doesn't matter?

Still so much learning to do.

Lynda

Comments (4)