SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayle0000

My new site for a shady garden room

gayle0000
13 years ago

When I am not working and doing mommy things, I am working in my yard. I finally got this back space cleared out and can plan out a new shady garden room with lots of hostas!

The majority of my property was overgrown like what you see below and this is my 3rd summer of clearing land. This corner was a bear to clean out.

Before - 2008: The most "before" I have. I had actually cleared out the area a bit at the time of the picture...where you see the bare soil. The scrub was grown all the way up to the garage, and I made room to set the sandbox. All the little weeds are garlic mustard.

Today - 2010: The trees (95% buckthorn) were tangled together up top & I couldn't just yank them down & out, so cutting down 1 tree meant cutting 2-3 and bringing them down together as a system. Took me 2 years to get rid of the garlic mustard. Tore down the chain link fence.

Fortunately, the buckthorn roots are on the surface and are easily yanked. Dug a few experimental holes & they seem good. I still have a couple trees to bring down & that will be easy, Overall I'm calling it done.

Anyone have any visions or ideas of what you would do with this area? Dappled sun/shade all day & that will not change even after I take down the last few trees.

Gayle

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery