SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfishman

Help. 2nd Year Gardening

bcfishman
14 years ago

Hello,

Last year I started growing vegetables for the the first time. I do strictly container gardening and had great success last year. I started my seeds in mid October and have done well so far. A lot of the seeds were from last year and unfortunately weren't stored very well for a month and a half while I was moving. Anyways...

Last year I had good results with my cucumbers but only harvested 1 zucchini and 3 squash from 3 plants each. I probably got 15 or some cucumbers though. The leaves would dry out and turn a powdery gray color. I figured I would plant the same ones and hope for better results this year. Well they sprouted nicely and began producing good sized leaves and 90% of the leavs have been eaten and there is only stems sticking out. Any suggestions? I can take pictures if necessary.

The tomoatoes I did last year were amazing and I have added 4 more varieties this year. I would getting bottom rot on some of them and added nutrients as needed.

Ultimately I am looking for someone who is in the Brevard County area or a climate that is similar that has some recommendations on varities that are more susceptible to this area. The majority of the seeds I have are from the Big Box stores and seem to be mediocre or not suited for this area.

I purchased 3 BlackBerry plants from Lowes the other day and plan on planting them in the next few days. They said they are supposed to be getting grapes in sometime soon as well.

If you have seeds and knowledge that you are willing to share, that would be great.

Unfortunately I am in the process of being divorced (not by choice) and unemployed so money is tight. I can afford to purchase soil from the local nursery at a good price but that seems to be all right now.

Thanks in advance. I hope this is productive.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH