SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grabembythegreenthumb

Questions from a 2nd Year Southern Gardener (NW Arkansas)

Sorry this got so long...

Last year was my first year gardening in the south. I didn't have a lot of space, but I made room for quite a bit of space and my landlord was happy to give me free reign for modification. Which I have zealously embraced.

I moved from Oregon, so that's where I learned what I know. Some of what I knew does not work here. Even though temps are about what they were in southern Oregon, the sun - even taking humidity into consideration - seems much more intense here. What I planted in the hot western afternoon Oregon sun did not work in the hot western afternoon Arkansas sun. Dahlias fried. Sweet potato vine withered. Celosia or Gerbera daisy didn't even really get western sun or the petunia's either and they couldn't take the heat one bit.

I did find a few things took the intense sun beautifully. Vinca, salvia, angolina and verbena, zinnas (WOW) moss roses, cardinal climber - although the moonflowers wouldn't bloom when it was 95+ degrees.

I am composting a little garden for flowers in a corner of the fence that gets intense and all afternoon western sun. The grass was always fried there. I like to try new plants from seed every year and I'm wondering how the following would perform in that sort of constant intense afternoon heat:

Delphinum
Larkspur
Love Lies Bleeding
Irish Eyes

More to add to the list...still going through the seeds.

Also - someone told me zinnias will reseed themselves here! And cardinal climbers and pretty much all vines. I wanted to do Spanish Flag and Canary Climbers and Black-Eyed Susan Vine this spring, but I've heard they come back as well...and there are already morning glories everywhere from previous residents! I don't want to have 10 different kinds of vines to try to control!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus