SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kexia

Southerner needs help learning how to garden in the NW

kexia
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I stumbled upon this site about a year ago and have read it off and on ever since. I moved to Seattle about 4 or 5 years ago, but last year was the first year I owned a place that had a large enough patio to start growing again. I gardened a lot back in GA, but last year was my first chance to experience NW conditions, and most of my attempts failed miserably. The conditions I have to grow in now are completely opposite to what I'm used to. So far all I've really learned is that 1) I love ferns! and 2)I HATE slugs.

I was hoping before I started this year I could get some pointers and recommendations from the locals. I wanna start out slow and easy and basically learn to garden all over again. So.....

What plants grow well in containers in partial to full shade, are hard for a newbie to kill, and don't attract slugs like the plague?

Later I'd like to post pictures and measurements of my patio for more detailed planning, but at the moment the patio is being used as a bike repair garage. So for right now I'll just research what you guys recommend.

Thanks so much for hearing me out!

S

Comments (10)