SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deweymn

2nd year of container gardening

deweymn
17 years ago

I used several large plastic containers last year lining a fence in my back yard. 3 types of tomato plants and two peppers did good. Each container was at least 10 gal. At the end of the season I mixed the soil from these containers in my compost piles and added a bunch of leaves, twigs, grass clipping (no fertilizer or weeds). During the winter I added kitchen veggie scraps and coffee grounds and now have turned one pile once and added some fresh dirt. The other pile is still a little frozen but I should be able to deep turn it this weekend and it should then start decomposing again. In about a month I should be ready to use it in my containers and in a new container I am building, 2'x4'x2'high that will sit up against my garage and get good morning sun and then shade afternoon and evening.

Question: Should I add anything to my compost soil, like potting soil, vermiculite, peat? I have nice black dirt around the yard that I skim off where spring rains collect it that I usually add for smaller containers. I do line the bottom with rocks and busted clay pots and mix in some fertilizer when I fill the containers. I plant the tomato plants deep, right up to the first leaves or plant them horizontally. So, just go with the composted soil?

Comments (3)