SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Quarantined Blue Angel puts up scape

User
11 years ago

When I was out taking school pictures of all my hosta today, I noted that Blue Angel had a short scape emerging.

The test kits for HVX arrived this afternoon. I want to test the plant before I begin any cutting or removing of anything else. Also, I want to test the other two hosta involved, the Winter Snow and the Fragrant Queen.

Only the Fragrant Queen is from PDN and it was clean except it had the misfortune of being planted with the two Lowes plants. Actually, they all three look pretty good right now.

However I want to approach this in as foolproof a manner as possible. I figure with 3 plants and 5 tests, I can only mess up 2 tests and do the job.

IF they turn out positive for HVX, how do I deal with the scape? Put a bag over it? And not injure the plant to increase chance of plant sap? And if I spray it with Roundup, all 3 plants, I want to wait until fall at the earliest to do any digging?

I have an old shovel to dig with, almost broken handle, and I have a sweet little Full Moon Japanese maple that could fit nicely in that spot once I clean out the soil and replace it. From what I read by Rob, he double bagged a contractor size bag to keep from losing any soil. His problem was bigger than mine, but mine is in a tight spot. At least, I only have three hosta in the ground, and all others are in containers which can be safely out of the way when this procedure is taking place.

Anyone done the HVX tests and had the test work okay? No problems? Well, I guess tomorrow is a good day to die, if you are a HVX positive hosta. So sad. Lovely plants.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor