SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkpips

Confused a bit

lkpips
13 years ago

I posted recently about my "unsafe" canning and ended up trashing a dozen plus quarts! Many helped me out in that thread...and gave me great advice....

So now I am trying to move forward in the correct manner...but I seem to still be reading different things and I am not understanding.

Basically I just want to can peppers...hot and sweet. I want to make vinegar peppers. With seasoning and such.

I read Ball's Blue Book tonight and it is saying you HAVE TO use a pressure canner and their recipe only calls for a teaspoon of vinegar!! A teaspoon? And the rest water...no spices...just some salt. This is not what I want. I want to use more and also use spices like oregano and such.

Then Carol posted a great link:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/pickled_hot_peppers.html

And that seems to have a closer recipe that makes sence...5 cups of vinegar to 1 cup of water.

But will a water bath be sufficient with this or do I still need to buy a pressure canner? I saw a few pressure cookers in the store today (chef central) that stated you can use them for home canning. I am using quarts...but ball recommends to stick with pint sizes.

Can someone assist...thank you!

Comments (7)