SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Not proud...

...but not feeling guilty either. I think. Tonight I was sitting out in the lanai, enjoying the breeze and watching the storms pass to the west of me. My attention was attracted by movement out of the corner of my eye and I look over to see a HUGE tree frog on the side of my house. I went inside and grabbed my flashlight and came back out, but it had moved. So I sat back down and just waited and wondered. Then I saw movement in my sweet potato vines and focused the flashlight on the spot. There it was. And just as the flashlight settled on it, I saw another, much smaller tree frog leap away.

I walked over to it and took a good look at it. It was so very much larger than any tree frog I had ever seen. After taking in many identifying markings, I went back inside and looked up 'Florida Tree Frogs' and started to compare images. Sure enough, it turned out I had one of the Cuban Tree Frogs. I knew from another post that these were invasive, but being one part naturalist (not the running around nekkid type, but the appreciation for the natural order type) and one part pacifist, I was hoping that they were merely a minor nuisance. But as I read on this species of tree frog, I realized I couldn't just let it go. So I donned a pair of rubber gloves and went back out to search through my potato vines again. It only took a little bit, but I found it again and now there is one less Cuban Tree Frog in my area.

I say I'm not feeling guilty, but since I'm relaying the story, there must be some guilt there... but... it had to be done.

Comments (15)