SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

Bird Question..*MANATURE*

16 years ago

I saw the coolest pair this morning. They hung out for about an hour. About the size of Cardinals. They had black wings and black tail, body was a bright yellow. Any ideas? A type of Oriel?

They were amusing to watch. I have three papayas planted in a cluster. They were going all over them and then the Crape Myrtle as well. They both flew off with something in their beak. Building a seasonal home perhaps? I wanted to enjoy them as long as I could so I didn't risk going out to take pics.

Are they down for the winter?

Thanks,

Tropicalfreak

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

Guess everyone is watching tv. : =)

Kat gave me some great info and a list of bird attracting plants tailored for South Florida. Thanks Kat!!!

Tropicalfreak

• 16 years ago

Cliff,
    they could have been American gold finch.
    Check the following site. See if you can spot them?
    http://www.whatbird.com/browse/objs/All/birds_na_147/59/Family/11086/Finches%20(Fringillidae)/default.aspx

• 16 years ago

Cliff, if they were sparrow sized, and it were SPRING, I would say goldfinches. But this time of year, goldfinches are turning pretty drab gray and tan with very little yellow. I'm thinking orioles is a better guess, but without a photo, it's hard to pin it down.

Here's a photo of spring time goldfinches for you, and one of the fall/winter plumage,too:

Spring/Breeding plumage of American goldfinch:

Fall/Winter plumage:

Here is a Baltimore oriole for comparison. Their plumage can vary a lot, but generally, it is a larger bird, more cardinal sized than goldfinches, and has a lot more white on its wing. Often the head is black, rather than just the black cap of the goldfinch, and it has a much longer bill, where the goldfinch has a short bill designed for seed cracking. Orioles are often seen going after flower nectar and fruits, btw.

Hope this helps some!
    Marcia

• 16 years ago

Guess Cliff is watching TV....ha ha ha ha!

• 16 years ago

Hehehehe...too funny, Cindee!! Hey, maybe he's been outside with his camera all day, trying to get that "definitive" shot!

Oh, Cliiiiiiif??? Where ARE yooooou?

Marcia

• 16 years ago

Hee Hee Funny Miss Thang!!! (*cindee*) You too MaNature. : >) (when you coming down to one of the swaps so I can meet you?)

Well, I waited and I hoped the pair would return today. I had some Sparrows stripping the banana trunks for nesting material. They probably find a few bugs when they do that too. I can't help but smile when I see them doing that. Busy, busy. : >)

Cliff