SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bristlingacres_gw

Question about Heinz Pickles

16 years ago

So, with the few remaining cucumbers I have left I'd like to try a sour pickle (this is my first year pickling anything). I prefer sour pickles...next year I might try fermenting.

Anyway, I found a thread using the search engine and found this from annie1992 and I'm wondering if she means 2tsp dried dill in place of the 12-14 sprigs of dill OR 2tsp per jar:

Thanks!

Astrid

These turn out perfectly for me every time. I actually prefer dried dill weed to fresh, but my husband likes the fresh dill. I have used dried dill seed and thought they were good. I used 2 tsp. dried dill weed or dill seed in place of the fresh dill. If you like a stronger dill flavor, then use 1 T. dried instead.

Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)

4 lbs pickling cukes

14 cloves garlic, peeled & split

1/4 cup salt

3 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar 5% acidity

3 cups water

12-14 sprigs fresh dill weed

28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.

Comments (8)