SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Salsa experiments

prairie_love
17 years ago

I have a lot of peppers in my garden - anaheims, jalapenos, serranos, habeneros, poblanos, red chiles, and bells (green, yellow, red). I also still have a lot of frozen peppers from last year's harvest. So I am looking at other ways to preserve my peppers. I do like the marinated peppers that Linda Lou posted, I've made it with anaheims and will probably make it with some of the other varieties. But we really like salsa. I've made several batches of Annie's salsa with various peppers, now I'm looking at some recipes I've used for fresh salsas and wondering if I can can any of them or make adjustments so that I can can them. I will write the recipes as I usually make them, then the ideas I have about how to can them, please comment!

1. Roasted Serrano Salsa

6 serrano chiles

1 pound Roma tomatoes, diced

2 tbl minced red onion

1/4 cup fresh orange juice

2 tbls yellow pepper diced

2 tbl minced cilantro

1 tbl rice vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

I am not sure of the conversion of pounds of tomatoes to cups of tomatoes, but I was thinking that maybe if I have a ratio of 2 cups tomatoes, 1 cup onion and chiles together, and 1/4 cup lime juice/vinegar (instead of orange) it would work? My reasoning is simply that that is the ratio in Annie's salsa...

2. Poblano Salsa

6 tbl pine nuts (roasted)

6 medium poblanos, roasted and peeled

1 small clove garlic

4-6 tbl olive oil

1 bunch cilantro

sea salt to taste

juice of 1-2 Mexican limes

1 large sweet red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, diced

I am doubtful if i can can this one. I don't mind leaving out the olive oil, but how much lime juice would it take to make this okay? Do you think it would freeze okay?

I've made jalapeno jelly - has anyone made it with other peppers? Any other ideas for recipes that feature one or more of these pepper types?

Thanks so much.

Ann

Comments (4)